Bioidentical Hormones for Menopause
Understanding what is happening in your body during menopause and perimenopause, and how to manage it, can help make this transition more comfortable. Bioidentical hormones doctor, John Gomes, M.D. in the New York metropolitan area can help you get a clear picture of your health and create a customized plan for total hormonal wellness.
Declining hormones can have a significant impact on the way you feel, both physically and emotionally. Most traditional medical treatments only focus on managing your symptoms of menopause, but do not solve the root cause of the problem: imbalanced hormones. John Gomes, M.D.’s Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy program addresses your symptoms at their source and has the ability to relieve your discomforts, and in some cases, eliminate them. With this kind of relief, women experiencing menopausal symptoms can expect to see a dramatic improvement in the quality of their life.
Because of the natural hormones used in Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, the hormones are metabolized by the body faster and easier and with little to no side effects. With hormones in balance, women are able to enjoy renewed energy, better health and a more positive outlook on life.
Some common symptoms of menopause that can be treated with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy are:
Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and Cold Sensations
The hormonal changes associated with menopause cause up to 75 percent of women to experience hot flashes. A hot flash is a sudden sensation of heat on the upper body and an increased heart rate. When hot flashes occur at night, the profuse sweating can disrupt your sleep, stopping you from receiving a full night’s rest.
In addition to hot flashes, some women experience cold sensations due to the poor circulation brought on by changing hormone levels. The most common complaints are cold feet, hands and face.
With rapid hormonal changes, it can be difficult to sustain a stable mood. Managing an emotional rollercoaster, along with the other symptoms of changing hormones can, at times, be challenging. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy can help bring your hormones and mood back into balance.
Lack of desire for physical intimacy can be due to an imbalance in the amounts of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone in your body. When the hormones progesterone and testosterone decline, it can cause estrogen dominance to occur. Weight gain, mood swings, and painful intercourse are also associated with estrogen dominance and can contribute to a lower than normal libido. Balancing estrogen in your body so it doesn’t dominate other hormones is essential to restoring your desire.
Bioidentical Hormones Used to Treat Menopausal Symptoms
- Estrone: This is a weaker form of estrogen, but it has a major effect on the accumulation of belly fat. Many women who are struggling with stubborn fat stores lose weight easier after receiving estrone as part of a Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy treatment.
- Estriol: Your liver produces this form of estrogen. The lack of it can cause problems with dry skin and urinary tract infections.
- Estradiol: This is the major form of estrogen produced by your ovaries, which means that the lack of it causes the majority of troublesome symptoms.
- Progesterone: Your body naturally releases progesterone in the second half of your menstrual cycle. It is also responsible for helping to sustain a pregnancy. Once you are beyond your childbearing years, having too little progesterone can result in heavy bleeding, irregular bleeding, and polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Testosterone: Although primarily a male hormone, testosterone is present in smaller amounts in women. Lack of testosterone balance affects energy levels, sexual desire, and the overall sense of well-being.
- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA): This hormone is produced by the brain and helps to create sex hormones in both genders. Balancing the level of DHEA in your body helps fight depression, obesity, and osteoporosis.
Hormones are responsible for the stages of development in our lives, from infancy to old age. It is important to have a healthy, functioning endocrine system as it governs our hormone functionality. As we age, the natural levels of hormones in our body begin to change and decrease. Without healthy and balanced hormones, you can feel like you are losing a baseline quality of life. Women experiencing imbalanced hormones due to menopause or perimenopause understand the frustrations and discomforts of hormone-related symptoms. However, because of the science behind Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy many of these symptoms can be treated and vitality regained.
To learn more about how bioidentical hormones doctor, John Gomes, M.D.’s Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy programs for women can help ease your symptoms of menopause, call Dr. Gomes in the New York metropolitan area today for a consultation!